How to Apply Cedar Bug-Free™ Termiticide
Apply to both sides where possible, paying particular attention to cuts and ends of pieces. Apply three coats directly to all unfinished, stained, varnished or painted surfaces using a compression sprayer, air or airless paint gun, brush or roller. Easily applied using a low pressure or garden sprayer.
- May be used indoors or outdoors. Ensure adequate ventilation when using in closed areas.
- Application is best accomplished in the heat of the day. Wood expands and contracts with heat until it is treated with Cedar Bug-Free™. Application in warmer temperatures accelerates the penetration levels by expansion of the wood and will subsequently shorten the application time.
- Total dimensional control is obtained with complete penetration.
- Insect, fungal and decay control can be achieved with partial penetration.
- Construction window treatments of minimum penetration will provide water and surface mold resistance for up to 90 days.
- Cedar Bug-Free™ suggests a minimum of 10 minutes for satisfactory results of all treatment objectives.
- AIRLESS SPRAY GUN -- the recommended application, where feasible. Apply repeatedly with heavy coast to point of run off. Stacked lumber should be separated with slats between layers. Spray ends and all surfaces until absorption reaches the degree of penetration desired.
- BRUSH –- Apply liberally from both sides and ends. Keep the surface soaked or wet until absorption reaches the level of penetration desired.
- ROLLER -- Apply with heavy knap roller keeping all surface area wet until absorption reaches the degree of penetration desired.
- SUBMERSION -- The most desirable method to treat green and wet material for drying or preserving structural lumber, plywood sheet products, oriented strand board, particle board, rail road ties, fencing material and wood flooring products. May use masonry mud boxes, stock tanks or open barrels where total submersion from one or both ends is desirable. Treated material can be reversed for full coverage. Horizontal treatments require weight to offset buoyancy issues. Submersion times from 15 minutes to 1 hour are recommended. Excess submersion may or may not enhance performance, however, additional submersion time is never detrimental to the objective. Does not compromise pre-treated surfaces such as hardwood floor or laminates. Excellent for wood intended for art.
- PRESSURE TREATMENT -- Standard pressure over vacuum or isolated pressure treatment protocol can be used with Cedar Bug-Free™. Minimal exposure is required as there is no cellular rejection of foreign objects as with aqueous penetrants. Resistance is minimum to the highly acute cedar oil turpene extracts and silicone compound. Elapsed vessel time is suggested at 15 minutes. Normal pressure treatment protocol should be calculated subject to equipment manufacturers’ instructions.
- EVACUATION -- Drip dry time of 3 to 5 minutes is recommended for salvage of unused Cedar Bug-Free™ solution. Stack time of 1 hour is suggested, however not required as Cedar Bug-Free™ cures are triggered by catalytic reactions from oxygen.
- Apply Cedar Bug-Free™ to a defined area of approximately 100 square feet or less. Using the wand or spray head, discharge the liquid in a spray or mist, holding the nozzle very close to the wood. On horizontal surfaces, keep applying the fluid until the surface appears glossy wet. Return to the starting point and reapply again when the solution has soaked into the wood. Repeat at least three times or until the last application appears to be resisting rapid penetration. Cedar Bug-Free™ will then wick itself into the wood and the fluid will migrate vertically and horizontally throughout the fiber structure.
- Move on to the next designated area and repeat the above process. Make sure that you have enough liquid to finish the defined area as partial treatment will not produce a ONETIME-LIFETIME result.
- Treatment from both sides is not necessary, however adequate amounts of Cedar Bug-Free™ must be applied to insure total penetration.
- For added Ultra Violet surface protection you can re-treat the surface with Cedar Bug-Free™ at any later date. The absorption at this later date will be minimal and the solution will be contained to the top surface area of the wood.
- When treating Vertical surfaces, start at the top and treat in the direction of the bottom allowing any runoff to be utilized by the untreated wood.
- Patience must be practiced when applying vertical surfaces as keeping the wood surface wet with solution is more difficult than on horizontal areas. Sometimes the use of a brush is more appropriate than the spray nozzle.
- Application with an airless gun is desirable for large areas such as Log Cabins and Fences. The airless gun will inject the fluid instantly into the wood, triggering a rapid wicking of solution and eliminating any tedious application efforts. Airless units are available at your local rental store. Be sure you request the SMALLEST NOZZLE available for the gun.
APPLICATION OF STATIN OR PAINTS:
- Oil based stains or paints are recommended for application to wood treated with Cedar Bug-Free™. Oil based stains and paints are more adaptable to a solvent treatment than the water based formulas. Heavy traffic areas such as walkways will experience higher levels of wear resistance when coated with oil based products.
- However, either can be used effectively and without any issues. A 24 hour waiting time is recommended for oil based stains or paints. A 72 hour waiting time is required for water based stains and paints.
- All paints and stains will experience an extended adhesion when applied over wood treated with Cedar Bug-Free™ as the wood will no longer “move”, the phenomenon that is responsible for rejection of all deck, dock, fence coatings and paints.
- Clean up is easy with Cedar Bug-Free™. There is none! Simply put the cover back on the unused product and store in an area free from any open flame.
- We recommend wearing goggles when spraying overhead or if it's windy. We also recommend gloves if you have sensitive skin - our wood products may cause some irritation on some people with sensitive skin.
- As with most products, AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES; if contact occurs, flush with water for at least 15 minutes. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. In case of ingestion consult a physician.
The product has a perpetual shelf life and will always be ready for you to use on the next project, perhaps the bottom of the doors, door jams or sill plates that need extra protection. Maybe the picnic table or the children’s playground equipment. Ever think of using a tree stump for a table? Treat the stump and it will be permanently petrified.